Uncooked Cake or cooked too fast?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uncooked Cake or cooked too fast?

Whenever I bake my cakes, the top layer always becomes brown too fast and the bottom is left very sticky or uncooked. Does anyone know why?

My temperature is set correctly too but perhaps my oven is still too hot or is it because all the granulated sugar sinks to the bottom.

Did I overbeat my butter and sugar? Sigh this has happened so many times I don't know what to do..

From what you said, I believe that perhaps the amount of sugar is excessive, in terms of its ratio to the amount of flour being used. If so, it results in the gluten within the flour not to become fully developed.

Without the development of this gluten, you would just get globs of uncooked flour and undissolved sugar. The top bakes yes but that is because it is exposed directly to the heat in the oven.

You might want to try adjusting your recipe - we will post one for you to try out as well.

Comment

Here are some questions that I have with regard to what threadstarter said:

What is the recipe being used? Have you substituted any ingredients from the original recipe?

Do you use parchment paper or cooking spray for release?

Do you check for proper doneness before removing the cake from oven?

Once removed from the oven, do you leave the cake in the pan for longer than 5 minutes before removing from pan onto cooling rack?

Did you preheat your oven? Did you used the correct temperature to bake your cake? It could just be that the oven is set too hot for the cake to cook properly.

Comment

Most common reason is fan function. Cakes are baked without fan. Fan force with regulate the overall temp and in general make the oven hotter. Although this is perfect for cookies and multi rack baking, it's a big no-no for cakes. If you use fan, you will get dome and cracked top, often dark and uncooked center. So off the fan for cakes.
        If you have no option, reduce temp by 15°C compared to instruction.

Another reason will be that your oven is generally hotter than others, just get to know your oven. I've known some people who bakes chiffon at 120°C due to irregular oven temp.

Comment

Wow thanks everyone for the responses, wasn't expecting that many and with so much insight as well!

To answer some of the questions:

What is the recipe being used? Have you substituted any ingredients from the original recipe?
          > I tried different recipes but one of the few that I tried and came out decent (though not very cooked in the middle) is this: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/f...apple-crumble/

I figured that I may be setting my oven too hot. It's an old oven so I'm considering replacing it. The fans, as Glazed, mentioned may no longer be working.

Do you use parchment paper or cooking spray for release?
          I used a non-stick spray..

Once removed from the oven, do you leave the cake in the pan for longer than 5 minutes before removing from pan onto cooling rack?
          I dive straight into the cake once it cools?

Did you preheat your oven? Did you used the correct temperature to bake your cake?

Yes, I turned it to the max before baking so as to get the oven warmed up..

Comment

One of the easier ways to see if your oven is working properly is to bake in smaller quantities.

If the cake is burnt (looks brownish) on the outside but uncooked in the inside, then it's time to change your recipe or change your oven.

Comment

Working...
            X